The Federal Government through the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has mandated that all phone number (MTN, GLO, 9mobile and Airtel Network) must be linked to a National Identification Number (NIN).
Failure to do this by the end of December 31, 2020 will result in the phone number being blocked. But, majority of the public has outcry to the government against this sudden announcement and the short time frame of implementation of this policy.
Update: Linking of NIN to Phone number has been postphoned.
Related article: NIMC Staff on Strike: NIN registration Suspended
But, the director-general of the National Identity Management Commission said there is no extension for the announced deadline of block of SIM card. Again, the Nigerian Identity Management Commission (NIMC has directed that all who registered with NIMC can link their NIN to more than one sim card or phone number. The commission said telecom subscribers should take their NIN to the office of their service provider for any assistance.
But, some Nigerians who possess NIN still unsure how to link their phone numbers to their NIN
So if you’re looking to link your NIN to your phone number, follow the below steps.
How to Link your NIN to your MTN Number
To link your NIN to your MTN number:
- Simply dial *785# using the phone number you wish to link, enter your NIN and submit or dial *785*Your NIN# from the phone number to link your NIN to your MTN Phone Number.
For example, if your NIN is 12345678903 and you wish to link it to your phone number; dial *785*12345678903#. This is how to link your NIN to your phone number.
You can also visit https://mtnonline.com/nim/using your phone and complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN, and email address.
- Submit the form and wait for feedback from the MTN network.
Again, you can also download myMTN App and follow the NIN banner to submit your NIN details in the app.
How to Link your NIN to your Airtel Number
To link your NIN to your Airtel phone number:
- Dial *121# on the Airtel phone number you wish to link
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and press, “send”
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and then press, “send”
- Wait for the message confirming you’ve link your NIN to your Airtel.
If you get an error, just wait for some time and try again.
How to Link your NIN to Glo Number
To link your NIN to your Glo Number:
- Send SMS, “UpdateNIN NIN FirstName LastName” to 109
E.g UpdateNIN NIN 12345678903 James Albdul to 109
You can also visit Glo NIN linking portal, https://www.gloworld.com/ng/nin/, to link your NIN to your Glo phone number
How to Link your NIN to your 9mobile Number
To link your NIN to your 9mobile number:
- Visit https://9mobile.com.ng/nin/, Click on the “Verify” and then “link your NIN now!”
- Enter your phone, and complete NIN linking form
You can simply visit the nearest 9mobile office to register/link your NIN. Go with NIN slip and your SIM pack or call the customer care line of your service provider.
1. Can I NIN be linked to more than 1 SIM card?
Ans. Your NIN can be linked to more than one sim card. Kindly take your NIN slip along to a telecom office. It is a KYC (Know Your Customer) Procedure.
2. How do I check my NIN number?
Ans. You can check your NIN Slip; it has your 11 Digit Number at the top left corner, on the second row. You can also dial *346# and press 1, please note that you may be charged 20 naira. NIMC said that Nigerians already enrolled in the NIMC scheme but have lost their NIN should dial *346# to retrieve the NIN. It also said that USSD code is available on MTN, Airtel, Glo and 9mobile.