Do you want to know the best and current cheapest data plan in Nigeria? There is no doubt that you and I know that we spend heavily to purchase data plans on our Smartphone, PC and Android devices. These devices consume heavy data. So, it is good you get to know the cheapest data plan currently available from all Networks in Nigeria.
Here today, I am go to show the best and most affordable data plans currently available in from all the major telecom Networks in Nigeria (MTN, GLOBACOM, ETISALAT and AIRTEL). I will also include their Prices and subscription codes if you wish to subscribe for any of data plan. The essence of this review is to help you reduce the money you spend on data plans at all time and at the same time get the best value for your money.
The Good news is that MTN, GLO, ETISALAT and AIRTEL continually roll out some new cheap data plans/bundles in addition to their old data bundles/plans. I believe in near future, cheaper data plans will be made available from these telecom Networks. For now, let’s get to compare and contrast all the data plans currently available in Nigeria from all major Networks and then pull out the best and latest cheapest data plan.
- updated List of Glo data plans and subscription codes
- Airtel cheapest data plans and activation codes
MTN DATA PLANS, Prices and Subscription Codes
- 4.5GB for ₦2,500. To subscribe, simply dial *120# or text 120 to 131, to activate the plan.
- 2.015GB for ₦2,015. To subscribe for this plan, text SPB to 131.
- 3.5GB data for ₦2000. To subscribe for this data plan, send 110 to 131 or simply dial *110# activate 3.75GB data plan.
- 5GB data plan for ₦1000. To activate this plan, send 106 to 131 or simply dial *106#
For all normal and regular users, these four monthly data plans from MTN are the best. The 4.5GB data plan is used as; 1.5GB is spent on browsing on daytime between 6.01am-8.59pm and 3GB at night-time between 9pm-6am.
OTHER MTN DATA PLANS
- 5GB for ₦8,000 Naira
The 7.5GB data can cater for heavy and occasional users but if you are heavy data user who require data plan above this GB, you have to look for other network to buy data bundle
For smaller data plan users, 1.5GB and 3.5GB monthly data plans from MTN is the the best option for them as they are cheapest when compare to other networks in Nigeria that offer similar data plans.
In terms of MTN browsing speed, MTN browsing signal strength is ok. Depending on your location, you can browse at 3G, Edge or HSPA signal strength which is relatively stable.
ETISALAT DATA PLANS, Prices and Subscription Codes
- 1GB for ₦1,000. To subscribe for this data plan, simply dial *229*2*7#
- 2GB for ₦2,000 Naira. Dial dial *229*2*8# to subscribe
- 3GB for ₦4,000 Naira. To subscribe for this data plan, dial *229*2*4#
- 1GB for ₦500 ( 1 weekend data plan)
These 3 monthly data plans from Etisalat are relatively costly when compare with MTN monthly for normal and regular data users. To worst it, Etisalat has currently withdrawn the 100% bonus on recharge
OTHER ETISALAT DATA PLANS
- 120GB for ₦111,000 Naira. To subscribe Dial *229*5*3
- 100GB for ₦84,992 Naira. Simply dial *229*4*5# to subscribe
These two annual data plans from Etisalat offer the highest broad bandwidth and validity for SMEs and heavy data users. For sure, this data plan is very costly as this is equivalent to 1GB for ₦850 Naira at such a huge amount of money.
In terms of Etisalat browsing speed, Etisalat network have proven to be fast and stable even in remote places in Nigeria especially when browsing at 3G or HSPA/HSPA+. However, Etisalat currently wipe out customers’ data plan without customer due usage. I receive this complaint from several Etisalat customers
AIRTEL DATA PLANS, Prices and Subscription Code
- 1GB for ₦1,000 Naira. To activate this data plan, dial *436#
- 3GB for ₦1,500 Naira. Latest data plan from Airtel. Dial *440*16# to subscribe.
- 2GB for ₦2,000 Naira. To subscribe to this data plan, dial *437#
- 5GB for ₦3,500 Naira. Simply dial *438# to subscribe to this plan.
- 3GB for ₦1000 data plan for BB users. To subscribe, dial *440*1#
- From above, you can see that Airtel has many data plans for normal and regular users. Airtel has relatively affordable monthly data plans for normal and regular users but the two new MTN data plans (3.5GB for ₦2000 and 5GB for ₦1000) from above is cheaper. The Airtel 2GB for 2,000 naira are meant to be use for browsing on daytime between 6am – 9.59pm and it is called Android I data plan while Airtel 4.5GB for 3500 naira are meant to be used for browsing on daytime between 6am – 9.59pm and it is called Android II data plan. Airtel 3GB for ₦1,500 Naira is for unlimited active plan. 3GB for ₦1000 data plan for BB users has also been used on Android devices, PC and smart-phones
- 20GB for ₦18,000 Naira. To subscribe, simply dial *463#.
For SMEs and very heavy data users, this data plan may not be the best option for them.
Airtel’s network speed from my own experience is not quite commendable. Although, this depends largely on your location as they are still battling to maintain and stabilize their 3G.
GLO DATA PLANS, Prices and Subscription Codes
- 1GB for ₦1,000 Naira (Always micro). Dial *127*53# or SMS 53 to 127 to subscribe
- 1.2 GB for ₦1,000
- 5GB for ₦2,000 Naira (My Phone). Dial *127*55# or SMS 55 to 127 to subscribe
- 5GB for ₦2,500 Naira (So special). Dial *127*58# or SMS 58 to 127 to subscribe
For normal and regular data users, Glo monthly data plans is comparatively similar to Airtel data plan however with Glo Always Max which gives 24GB for just ₦8,000 Naira; this Glo data is the best and cheapest data plan for SMEs and very heavy data users.
To subscribe to Glo 24GB for ₦8,000 Naira, dial *127*1# or SMS 12 to 127.
In terms of browsing speed, Glo Network is NOT commendable as you may likely have challenges in their network browsing speed. In some town, it is difficult to browse with Glo Network even at the face of their 3G, HSPA or HSPA+ Network. Many people have criticized Glo browsing speed.
Summary and comparison of all current Telecom Network Data plans in Nigeria
For ₦1,000 Naira data plan in Nigeria;
- MTN gives 1.5GB, Validity period 30days, subscriptions code *106#.
- Etisalat gives 1GB, Validity period 30days, subscription code *229*2*7#.
- Glo gives 1GB, Validity period 30days, subscription code *127*53#.
- Airtel gives 3GB and 1GB, Validity period 30days, subscription code *440*1# and *436# respectively.
Here, MTN Network scores 1point (1point for 1GB)
Airtel score 2 points (2 point for 3GB)
Etisalat and Airtel score 0 point (no point, very costly)
For ₦1,500 Naira data plan in Nigeria
- Airtel gives 3GB unlimited active, Validity period 30days, subscription*440*16#
- Not available on MTN, Glo, and Etisalat Network
Here, Airtel score 2 point (2 points for 3GB)
MTN, Glo and Etisalat score 0 point
For ₦2,000 Naira data plan in Nigeria
|MTN gives 3.5GB, validity 30 days, subscription *code 110#.|
|Glo (My Phone ) gives 2.5GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *127*55# or SMS 55 to 127.|
|Airtel gives 2GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *437#|
|Etisalat gives 2GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *229*2*8#.|
Here, MTN scores 2 point (2 point for 3.5GB)
Glo Network scores 1 point (1points for 2.5GB)
Airtel scores 0 point
Etisalat scores 0 point
For ₦2,500 Naira data plan in Nigeria
- MTN gives 4.5GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *120#
- Glo (so special) gives 4.5GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *127*58#
- Not available on Airtel and Etisalat
Here, MTN scores 2 points (2 points for 4.5GB)
Glo scores 2 points (2 points for 4.5GB)
Etisalat and Airtel score 0 point
For ₦3,500 Naira data plan in Nigeria
- Airtel gives 4.5GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *120#
- Not available on MTN, GLO and Etisalat
Here, Airtel scores 0 point (very costly; 4.5GB is already cheaper in other Network)
Other Network score 0 point, here too.
For ₦4,000 Naira data plan in Nigeria
- Etisalat gives 3GB, validity period 30 days, subscription code *229*2*4#
- Not available on Glo, MTN and Airtel
Here, Etisalat scores 0 point (very costly; 3GB is already cheaper in other Network)
Other Network score 0 point, here too.
Conclusion – from the analysis above; MTN Nigeria offer the latest cheapest data plan in Nigeria for normal and regular data users (they score 5 points from above) follow by Airtel Network (4 points) while Glo offer the cheapest data plan in Nigeria for very heavy data users (Glo 24GB for ₦8,000 Naira).
Once new data plan(s) is/are roll out by any of these Nigerian telecom Networks, I will update this article.
So, you have to keep visiting this page for latest update on the latest cheapest data plan in Nigeria.
Which Network data plan do you use in your locality, do you have any challenge with using it; let’s hear you now. You can use the comment box below to share your experiences and views.