Some months ago, the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) of Nigeria listed 12 Items Drivers must have to drive on highway in Nigeria. One of the major items on that list is the driver’s license. Without a driver’s license you are not eligible to drive your car on Nigerian roads.
An FRSC driver’s license is a proof that you have attended a driving school and you’re conversant with road signs and symbols. The FRSC Driver’s License is of two types, one valid for three years and the other, five years. I will throw more light on that later.
A lot of drivers are being humiliated, molested and exploited by the Nigerian law enforcement Agents on the high way because of expired driving license. To avoid falling prey of Nigerian law enforcement agents, it is always good to renew your driver’s license before the expiration date as there is no grace or free period for renewal of expired driver’s license in Nigeria.
Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) of Nigeria had confirmed that you can now RENEW your Driver’s License online in Nigeria without going through the tedious capturing and bio-metrics process. All thanks to the Internet!
In this article, I will work you through the procedure for renewing driving license in Nigeria. I will also show you how to pay for new driver’s license online in Nigeria. The procedure for renewing driver’s license in Nigeria is simple and straight forward.
How to Renew Driver’s License Online
To renew your driver’s license online, just follow this procedure:
- Visit the FRSC National Drivers’ License portal at https://nigeriadriverslicence.frsc.gov.ng/
- Click on “DL application” and select “Renewal of Driver’s License” from drop down
- Enter your license number and date of birth, click search to pull your existing demographic information.
- Select “NO” at the end of the form when asked if you want to recapture bio-metric information.
- Make Payment Online and print your receipt
- Scrolls to the bottom of the page and select which Driver’s License Centre (DLC) to pick up your permanent Driver’s license when it is ready for collection. This is how to renew driver’s license in Nigeria online.
If there delay in getting the original or permanent driver’s license, you can Check If your Driver’s License Is Ready for Collection online.
*Your eligibility to Bypass Capture and renew your driving license online depends on your ability to make payment online and visit the DLC collection centre to pick up the permanent driving license when it is ready.
*If you intend to apply for Commercial Licence Classes, kindly visit a Drivers Licence Centre (DLC) close to you.
How to Renewal Driver’s License at DLC
If you’re not used to doing things online, you can renew your driver’s license in a driver’s license center near you .
- Visit any Driver’s License Centre near to you
- Request for renewal of your expired Driver’s License
- Provide your driver’s license detail
- Make payment for your License renewal
- Return back after one week for Bio-metric capturing
A temporary driver’s license (valid for 60 days) will be issued to you immediately after your biometric capturing. The Driver’s License will be ready upon the expiration of the temporary license. You can pick up your Driver’s license at the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR) when ready.
If you doubt the authenticity of your Driver’s license, you can Verify Original Driver’s License in Nigeria
How to Pay for New Driver’s License online
The payment for the driver’s license can be done online or at any of the designated banks. To pay for new driver’s license online:
- Go to official FRSC website at https://nigeriadriverslicence.frsc.gov.ng/
- Click on DL Application
- Click on New Driver’s License from the drop down
- Authenticate your Driving School Certificate Number by entering your Test Certificate Number
- Click on Validate and proceed to pay for the new driver’s license with ATM card
A temporary driver’s license (valid for 60 days) will be issued to you immediately you provide your bio-metric information. The Driver’s License will be ready upon the expiration of the temporary license. You can pick up Permanent Driver’s license at the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR) when ready.
How much does it cost to renew drivers license in Nigeria 2020?
The Driver’s license renewal fee in Nigeria according to FRSC Nigeria is N12,000 for a 3-year license and N15,000 for a 5-year. It was formally N6,350 for a 3-year license and N10,350 for a 5-year.
How long does it take to renew driver’s license in Nigeria?
The temporary driver’s license usually valid for 60 days. For original driver’s license, the one of N12,000 last for only 3-year and the other for N15,000 valid for 5- year after which you have renew the driver’s license.
Are they few months grace period for renewal of expired driver’s license in Nigeria?
There is no grace or free period for renewal of expired drivers license, vehicle license or documents in Nigeria. No law in Nigeria provides grace period rather you are expected to renew your driver’s license one month before it expires. So, always renew your license before they expire!
Where can I find an accredited driving school in Nigeria?
All the list of the accredited driving schools in Nigeria is provided on the FRSC driver’s license website (https://nigeriadriverslicence.frsc.gov.ng/) and at all DL Centers.
Share this article on how to Renew or Pay for new Driver’s License in Nigeria with friends and relatives on Facebook, whatsapp and Twitter by clicking on the social media sharing button.