Inability to receive OTP is a Problem encounter during some online and E-payment. In this article, you’ll learn how to solve OTP problem. So, if you not receiving OTP on your phone; keep reading…
What is OTP?
OTP stands for One-Time Password. It is generated by the Safetoken Service. OTP is also referred to as safetoken. Safetoken/OTP and transaction limits are being put in place for your protection as part of the mandatory regulatory compliance by the CBN.
To make online shopping even more secure, online payment processors generate this second level security for your safety. This second level security is a 6-8 digit One Time Password (secure OTP). This help to protect your credit card and payment on the internet.
Online payment gateway without OTP
There is No secured online payment gateway that does not ask for one time password (OTP). If you’re using Mobile App to make payment, a token may be required. Any online payment without secure OTP or token is NOT fully secured. It is not advisable to shop or make payment via such online payment platform. So, do not try bypass OTP when making online payment.
Importance of OTP in Online Payment/transactions
- OTP help you carry out online transactions above the default limits set by your bank.
- OTP will always help you enjoy the remember card feature for Verve Cards which requires only your CVV2 and PIN to complete transactions.
You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile phone number automatically, when you use your card for making online payment at websites that support verified VISA or MasterCard® SecureCode™ authentication.
To avoid running into the problem of not getting your OTP verification code SMS text message quick when you initiate online payment, ensure that you use your primary mobile phone number ( that is the mobile number registered with your bank account and link to Verve card, Mastercard or VISA Card). This helps to avail fast authentication.
There are over twenty web payment platforms in Nigeria, if you try using your verve card, mastercard, visa, or other bank credit card to make payment on any of these webpay enabled platforms and it didn’t work; it means you have to register for secure OTP.
Solving OTP problem and Receiving OTP on your phone; to solve OTP problem, register and link your mobile number to your account.
How can you register for secure OTP in Nigeria
There are 3 ways to register for Safetoken/OTP service namely;
- Activation by your Bank.
- Activate on the Quickteller App.
- Self-Activation at the ATM.
How to self-activate Interswitch Safetoken/OTP on ATM for online payment
The Interswitch Safetoken Service system generates a 6-8 digit One-Time-Password (OTP) whenever a transaction is initiated via the Interswitch Web Payment Platform.
PLEASE NOTE THIS: The customer’s card would have been previously linked to his phone number for him/her to utilize this service. At the point of initiating a transaction, the customer may receive an OTP via hardware/software devices, grid cards or SMS and then he is required to input this OTP on the web payment platform in order to complete the payment.
The OTP is authorized by the Strong Authentication Server residing either at the switch or at the issuing bank and the transaction is completed.
To register for OTP SMS verification code, follow the prompt;
- Go to the nearest ATM, and insert your ATM card
- Input your 4-digit PIN and press Enter
- Select your bank account type example Savings or Current
- Select the ‘Quickteller’ option from the ATM menu screen
- Select ‘Pay Bills’ from the Quickteller menu list on the ATM screen
- Select ‘Others’ for the bill payment menu option list
- Enter ‘322222”as the Biller Code
- Enter your mobile Phone Number as the Customer Reference Number and select ‘Proceed’
You will get a display “Do you want to make this payment?” Amount Due: N1. DO NOT edit the amount to be paid
9. Click on “Pay amount due”. You will then receive an SMS confirmation page indicating the registration was successful.
What you can do when you do not receive an SMS with a secure OTP after requesting for one?
Make sure you’ve been receiving banking messages on your phone before otherwise visit your bank. Send a mail to email@example.com for assistance in making sure you get your OTP or dial a short code *322*0# to proceed to receive an secure OTP.
If you get error when you try to activating your card for Interswitch OTP service, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit the interswitch Safetoken faq at: https://connect.interswitchng.com/faqs/safetoken-faq/.
OTP is needed for secured online shopping and any online payment platform without OTP is not fully secured. If you follow the instructions above, you will never have problem with your OTP verification code.
Generating OTP and activating new union bank UnionMobile App
If you’re a new union bank UnionMobile App User;
- Download the new UnionMobile App on your android phone from Google play and accept the Terms and Conditions
- Enter your account number (OTP will be sent to the mobile phone number registered with the bank)
- Enter the OTP you received on your registered mobile number
- Choose username and password
- Choose a new password and transaction PIN then submit
- Return to home page and Log in
If your Existing Users
- Download the new UnionMobile App on your android phone from Google play
- Sign in with your UnionOnline username and password
- Enter your account number and submit (you’ll receive an SMS containing OTP on your registered phone number)
- Enter the OTP
- Create Transaction Pin
- You are successfully registered, go to home page and login
Finally, to receive OTP on mobile from any bank for any purpose, the mobile number must be registered with your banking account. In your case it seems mobile number is not registered with your banking account and hence you are not receiving OTP from your Union Bank for mobile banking.
Visit your bank and get your mobile number registered to account and starting receiving OTP on your registered mobile number. Please down load the new union bank mobile app from your registered mobile number with the bank. Where you can get the OTP. Please do not disclose any of your credentials to anyone. In case of difficulties please visit any of union bank branch.
If you enjoyed this article, show some love…don’t just read, asks your questions, share and drop some comments.