The larger proportion of Cars sold in Nigeria comprise of used cars and car for sale by owners in Lagos, Kano, Abuja and other big cities. Tokunbo or direct Belgium cars from Cotonou are most sold cars in Lagos, Nigeria. These days, if you are looking for a used car (Tokunbo) to buy, the internet is a great place to start from. In this article, we will cover 10 good websites to buy Used Cars (Tokunbo Cars) and their prices.
- 1 How to find a good car to buy in Nigeria
- 2 Advice on How to Buy A Car Online
- 3 10 Sites to Buy Used Cars (Tokunbo Cars) and their prices
An average Nigerian prefer to buy a fairly used car to a new one because of its affordability. Dealers on used cars in Africa are making a good fortune importing used cars for resale across the world. 85% of Benin’s used vehicles imports end up in Nigeria. Nigeria’s new vehicle sales lag behind less populated countries such as Algeria, Morocco, South Africa, and Egypt. The ratio of new cars to used cars on Nigerian roads is 1:131 according to 2015 PWC report. The report has it that the size of the imported vehicle market in Nigeria is currently estimated at Naira 1.2 trillion (approx. $3.3 billion) of which about 70% of this is second-hand vehicles.
How to find a good car to buy in Nigeria
You’re ready to buy a second-hand car or you’re wondering how to get a good car, the few questions you need to answer correctly that’ll help you find a good car to buy include:
1. What do you really want in a car? This is an important question you should ask yourself before you venture into buying any car because the answer is as good as the car itself. Do you want a car that consumes less fuel, has affordable spare parts, easy to maintain and still has ample space? Then you should go for Toyota space wagons or Nissan Primera. These cars cost less and are easier to maintain. Do you want a car that can withstand Nigeria pot holes, cost less, consumes less fuel but the spare parts may be costly, then you can try Honda product?
2. Why do you want to buy the car? Do you need it to be a family car for social occasions and ‘school runs’, going church or you want a simple car for your work or perhaps you want a car for taxi transport business in Nigeria. You have to decide why you want to buy the car. Know what you want to use the car for and consider the city or locality where the car will be used. Toyota Camry can be used for special taxi services in a city like Enugu, Port-Harcourt, Uyo and many others while Opel Vectra can be used for taxi services in a city like Jos, FCT, Kano, Yola, and many more
3. How much do you wish to spend in buying the car? I mean what is your budget for the car like? You don’t have to buy a car that you can’t afford to maintain either would you want to buy a cheap car whose spare parts are expensive in Nigeria. Again, you don’t have to consider price as a yardstick over the actual value of the car. Don’t buy a car because it’s cheap. The car may have some hidden faults which you may not easily find out and will cost you dearly in fixing it up later. So, go for grade 1 cars and know the average market price before fixing your budget. N700, 000-N950, 000 can buy you a quality second-hand car in Abuja, Lagos, Kano and Cotonou.
Advice on How to Buy A Car Online
- Buy a registered Car – All new Tokunbo or direct Belgium cars are now registered with Custom. Before you buy a car in Lagos make sure it is registered.
- Buy a car from a seller within your city- When buying USED cars, it a good idea to buy from a seller within your city. You need to inspect the car in person, so buying used cars from outside your city will involve travelling.
- Inspect the car before buying – These cars dealers and agents can smartly play on you. If you must travel to a place like Cotonou or Lagos to buy a car, you need to go with car Mechanic that you trust for the inspection of the car.
- Do not pay for a car you’ve NOT seen physically – Pictures only are NOT acceptable
- Do not supply you bank detail to anybody – You can negotiate with the car seller online or through phone but do not pay online
Call the used car seller, ask questions and set up a meeting. Beware of FRAUD!
10 Sites to Buy Used Cars (Tokunbo Cars) and their prices
Here are 10 sites to buy used cars in Nigeria and their prices:
Jiji is a Nigerian online marketplace that provides car buyers and sellers with an avenue to meet for transactions. Jiji features a wide selection of new and used cars: Honda, Toyota, Nissan and other different car brands. Founded by Anton Wolyansky in 2014 and located in Lagos. Jiji Nigeria acquired OLX Nigeria, the popular Nigerian Car listing website in 2018.
how to buy a car online in Jiji Nigeria website; Search your desired type of car, Contact the car seller, Go for the car inspection and Order for delivery. That’s all.
As of the time this article is written, the list of cars for sales on Jiji.ng and their prices are;
Mercedes-Benz C240 2006 Silver = ₦ 1,600,000. Condition: Foreign Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 11.
Honda Accord 2009 2.0 I-VTEC White = ₦ 1,650,000. Condition: Nigerian Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 99805
Mercedes-Benz M Class 2006 Silver = ₦ 2,600,000. Condition: Nigerian Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 8000.
Mercedes-Benz E250 1965 White =₦ 10,000,000. Condition: Foreign Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 99999
Honda Civic 2000 EX 2dr Coupe Green = ₦ 450,000. Nigerian used neatly used, Condition: Nigerian Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 100000
Acura TSX Automatic 2009 Silver = ₦ 2,150,000. Condition: Nigerian Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 85000
Volvo S60 2008 Gray = ₦ 1,300,000. Condition: Foreign Used, Transmission: Automatic Mileage: 100000
Toyota Corolla 2008 1.8 Black = ₦ 1,100,000. Condition: Nigerian Used, Transmission: Manual and Mileage: 15000.
Nissan Altima 2004 2.5 S Black = ₦ 750,000. Condition: Nigerian Used, Transmission: Automatic and Mileage: 20000. These cars may or may not be available for sale as they are being sold every second. If you want to know the cars for sale on Jiji website and their prices; click here for Cars to buy from Jiji website
Cheki.com.ng is an online marketplace for Nigeria’s car dealers, importers, and private sellers. Located in Ikeja, Lagos; Cheki Nigeria just like Jiji don’t sell cars directly to buyer but rather provide a platform for buyers and sellers to meet and transact.
On the Cheki website, you can buy different cars. You can get Toyota cars, Lexus cars, Nissan cars, Acura cars, Audi cars, Opel cars, BAW cars, BMW cars, Bentley cars, Buick cars, CHTC cars, sienna cars, Hyundai cars, Peugeot cars, Passat cars, Kia rio cars, Rover cars, rav4 cars, Renault cars, Volkswagen golf cars, Vento cars, Volvo cars, golf 2, 3 cars, Mazda 323, Honda cars, Mercedes cars, Audi 80 cars, Mitsubishi cars, Cadillac cars, Changan cars, Chery cars, Chevrolet cars, Chrysler cars, Citroen cars, Dodge cars, Escalade cars, Ferrari cars, Fiat cars, Ford cars, GMC cars, Great Wall cars, Hummer cars, Infiniti cars, Isuzu cars, JMC cars, Jaguar cars, Jeep, Lancia cars, Land Rover, Lincoln cars, MG cars, Maybach, Mercury, Mini, Plymouth cars, Pontiac, Porsche, Range Rover cars, Renault, Rolls-Royce, Rover, Saipan, Saturn, Scion, Skoda, Smart, Sang Yong, Subaru, Suzuki cars and Zotye cars
Nairaland is one of the top Nigeria online forums. The forum has an auto section for car for sale by owners. Cars owners and importers who want to sell their cars advertise their new and fairly used cars on nairaland auto section.
So, if you’re looking for where (site) to buy a new or cheap tokunbo car, visit nairaland auto now for new or used cars with their prices
Car Jumia is Nigeria’s #1 online car dealer website where you can buy New, Used and Tokunbo cars at affordable price. Their major role is to help you find the right car and help link you with the owner. You can buy a cheap car from Car.jumia Nigeria. You can also Post your Car for sell free.
According to Car.jumia founder, “with our experience and our know-how, as well as a clear understanding of the specificities of the Nigerian car market, we offer the best online market place for vehicles in Nigeria”
For Jumia cars and their prices, check it out: Jumia cars, new and fairly used cars with their prices.
NigeriaCarMart.com is an online Used Cars trading website in Nigeria. Many dealers and private sellers sell their cars on Nigeriacarmart.
If you’re looking to buy a car; here are 3 steps to buy car in Nigeriacarmart; Request for a Car, Place your request details, Send your request to Nigeriacarmart Dealers and Dealers get back to you.
Carnotautomart is an online/ E-commerce car trading website. If you are looking for new or used cars for sale in Nigeria, you can get it at carnotautomart. Located at 58 Abiodun Onitiri Avenue, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos; Carnotautomart is the best place to find online deals for Tokunbo used cars in Nigeria.
For carnotautomart- new, used cars and their prices, check it out: carnotautomart– new, fairly used cars with their prices.
Car45 is Nigeria’s leading automotive trading platform. On Car45.com, you can Buy, Sell, or Swap a Car Without Stress. Car45 Inspection Centers and Car Lots are Available Nationwide.
Sellyourcar is Nigeria’s Online Auto Market. You can buy used cars, new cars, Vehicle Accessories in sellyourcar Nigeria.
On Sellyourcar website, you can sell your car after providing your car specifications.
Truckscout24 is a European online marketplace to buy used trucks, vans, transporters, construction and agricultural machinery, trailers and semi-trailers, forklifts and other commercial vehicles. Apart from buying any of these vehicles from truckscout24, you can also sell your own truck.
All the trucks on truckscout24 are NOT the same.
The most popular and requested trucks on truckscout24 are; Box, Tipper and Flatbed + tarpaulin.
Before buying a vehicle from Truckscout24.com, find out beforehand which category suits you best and inspect the category of the truck and its substructures.
For example, Box trucks need to be checked for water tightness and Tipper trucks for possible damage in the substructure and drive train.
The most popular makes of trucks on AutoScout24 are: MAN, Mercedes, Volvo, Renault, Iveco and Scania.
You can get current prices of new and used cars on truckscout24 from this link: new and fairly used cars with their price on truckscout24.
OList Nigeria is an Online Marketplace to Buy and Sell cars, phones, jobs, electronics and fashion. OList.ng is a Free Classifieds in Nigeria, located at 117 Opebi Rd, Opebi 100212, Ikeja.
You can find great car deals from these websites and forum I listed above. Also, some known road side car dealers may have cars at bargain prices but these are usually rare.
Other places where Used cars are advertised for sale are National Newspapers sites and Roadsides
Read: FAQ about car import duty, new and Tokunbo cars
Prices of Toyota Camry 1992 – 2014 models
- 2010 Toyota Camry – 2014 Toyota Camry: N2,500,000 – N6,500,000
- 2003 Toyota Camry – 2009 Toyota Camry: N1,200,000 – N3,000,000
- 1996 Toyota Camry – 2002 Toyota Camry: N500,000 – N1,000,000
- 1992 Toyota Camry – 1995 Toyota Camry: N300,000 – N700,000
- Where can I sell my car online in Nigeria?
- Where can I sell my car in Nigeria?
- How can I get a cheap car in Nigeria?
- How much is the cheapest car in Nigeria?