This article is designed to give you an in-depth information on how to start/run laundry business in Nigeria, the equipment needed to start a laundry business and the Nigerian Laundry Price list.
Laundry business often referred to as dry cleaning business has been on in Nigeria over decades. The business is a service business and the services that are involve include the washing, drying and ironing of clothes and other textile materials for persons, organizations and companies. It is a very lucrative low-risk business anyone can start in Nigeria or in any locality in Nigeria.
The business is thriving so well in different cities in Nigeria because;
- the population of Nigeria is growing bigger every year.
- everyone loves to put on neat and well ironed clothes especially for going to work, occasions and outings
- most people are very busy at work every week and the tight schedule makes it very difficult to create enough time to wash clothes.
- an average Nigerian person leaves home very early in the morning and return late at night and no time to attend to washings.
- most people work on Saturdays (free working day) leaving Sunday only which can also be occupied by one meeting or the other.
- It’s a business one can do as a part time business
- 1 Equipment Needed to Start Laundry Business in Nigeria
- 2 Cost of Starting a Laundry Business in Nigeria
- 3 How to Start a Laundry Business in Nigeria
- 4 Laundry Price List in Nigeria
There are many reasons why you should consider starting a laundry business in your locality and some of such reasons are;
- laundry business can be started with no money (Only applicable to home-based laundry business).
- There are always customers if you publicize your business very well.
- The cost to set up and run a laundry business is not so much depending on the level you wish to start from. You can start on a small scale and grow large.
- It is very profitable and you can make a lot of money from laundry business if you’re able to managed it well.
- It is such a business you can start from your home if you can’t afford a shop.
- you become a boss of your own and stay in control of your time.
- you can run it concurrently with your pay job to raise passive income.
Read about…Challenges of Laundry Business in Nigeria
Equipment Needed to Start Laundry Business in Nigeria
Equipment needed to start a laundry business in Nigeria includes;
- Power Generating Set
- Washing Machine/ Washer
- Pressing Iron (Dry and steam pressing iron)
- Washing Table and Chair
- Safety Tank and Tank Stand
- Pressing Table
- Towel/Table Cloth
Other equipment/materials needed to start a laundry business
Other equipment needed to start a laundry business includes;
- Drying racks
- Packaging Waterproofs
- Laundry detergent
- Bleach and stain removers
- Garment Conveyor
Cost of Starting a Laundry Business in Nigeria
The major reason why I avoid discussing about cost on this site is because costs is relative. In other words, the cost of starting a laundry business in Nigeria varies from one locality in Nigeria to another. For example, the amount you will need to rent space in Abuja can comfortably take care of all your cost in certain part of Ebonyi State. Even some other laundry materials you might expect to be of the same price are not. You see that it does not make sense to conclude that certain amount of money is what you will need to start a laundry business in Nigeria. Again, laundry business is of different level—home based drying cleaning business can be started with no money. Low scale, small scale, medium scale and large-scale laundry business; each of them requires different capital start up. The best way I think will be to go out and find out the cost of materials and equipment you need. You`ll definitely get the cost of items you need to get started with laundry business in your locality.
How to Start a Laundry Business in Nigeria
If you’re planning to start a laundry business; you can follow these steps below to start a laundry business in Nigeria:
Get a good location
Getting a good location is one of the most important steps you have to take when starting your laundry business. Consider locations in open places and residential areas. Where your business is located can either make or mar your business. I’ll recommend you find a location with less competition. High traffic location is also a good location to start from. High traffic areas are busy place where people coming from work or going through can see you.
Read more on….15 Tips on finding right location for small business
Register your business and get all necessary permit
Running a laundry business may require that you register your business and get all necessary permit. If you want your business to stand the test of time, you need to register your business and get all important receipt. Depending on your location, you may have to pay some fees like local government fee, ESWAMA, Business premises fee etc. Find out and make sure you settle with all of them to avoid any sort of disruption to ensure smooth running of your laundry business.
Put Down Your Laundry Business Plan
Writing down your laundry business plan is an important step in starting laundry business. The business plan will serve as blueprint for your business. You can always resort to your plan in trial times in your business. When seeking Loan from companies they’ll likely demand your business plan before they’ll offer loan to you. These and many more are reasons you need a business plan
Read more on…How to write a winning business plan
Buy necessary equipment needed to start a laundry business
Once, you have concluded with your laundry business plan, your next step should be to acquire the equipment you will need to get your laundry business started. The equipment you buy will depend on the scale (low, small, medium or large) you want to operate. If you do not have the money to buy the big equipment you can buy the ones you can and start small. If you can’t buy a washing machine, you can decide to wash with hand and then buy iron, soaps and other material.
If you’re starting in a large scale, you may need to hire workers. Dry cleaners and laundromats may require you to hire help but a home-based laundry business is something you can start and run yourself.
once you get to this stage, you need to get started. The journey of a thousand mile begins in a step. There is no other time you can start rather than at this point.
Additional services to offer
You can offer additional services such as washing bed sheets, curtains, rug carpets and other household items to increase your profit.
Promotion and Advertise your Business
Once you get started, the next step to take is to promote/advertise your business. Don’t over look advertisement and promotion of your business. Try to put enough energy and time in promoting your business
Here are ways you can Advertise/promote laundry business;
- Design and put a sign post outside the shop to let people know about your business
- Use social media like facebook, twitter, Instagram etc. to tell your friends close to your shop
- Offer promotion with discount. People love discounts, offer a discount like 25% off.
- Design and print flyers and share around your shop
- Talk to people you know and request they tell their friends
- Offer home delivery and pick up after washing
- Visit offices, banks and inform the workers of your new professional services
- Cut down your prices at least for the start.
- Advertise on Google
With strong advertisement campaign, promotion and good quality service you will surely win a lot of customers to your laundry business. I believe within a space of time if you’re serious with the business, money will start rolling in.
Laundry Price List in Nigeria
Laundry price list in Nigeria varies from one locality to another. It is therefore very important that before fixing your laundry price list, you will need to first go out and investigate the current rate being charged per service by other laundry practitioners in your locality. it will help you to avoid over charging of your customers. Over- charging will scare your customers away and that’s not a good way to start. Here is the current laundry price list of well-known laundry business in Lagos-Nigeria. You can adjust this price list to suit the area where your business is located.
CLOTHS/TEXTILE MATERIALS PRICE(N)
Safari suit N400
Complete native(Buba and agbada) N850
Women native N300
Men native N300
Skirt and blouse N300
Bed sheet Small N250
Bed sheet large N350
Blanket Duvet N500
Towel small N150
Towel medium N250
Towel large N300
Wedding gown N2500
Aso- oke complete N500
Little bride gown N350
Pillow case N150
Native cap N150
Socks N50 per pair
Foot mat N300
Rug carpets N2500 (depending on the size)
To conclude; laundry business is a business anyone can start/run and make money if properly manage. You mustn’t buy all the laundry equipment above; you can select from the list depending your financial capacity and the level you want to operate. For the laundry price list, you can adjust price to suit you.